Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Words of HH Dalai Lama

In Dharamsala, HH Dalai Lama is a presence that is everywhere in picture, word, prayer, etc.

In "Dhasa" there are four short undated "essays" of his that one sees repeatedly, and I believe they deserve reproduction here. They follow:

::::::::::::::::::::

The Paradox of Our Age

"We have bigger houses and smaller families; more convenience, but less time.

We have degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more medicine, but less healthiness.

We have been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbour.

We built more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but have less human communication.

We have become long on quantity, but short on quality.

These are times of fast foods, and slow digestion; tall man and short character; steep profits, and shallow relationships.

It is a time when there is much in the window and nothing in the room."

::::::::::::::::::::

Never Give Up

"No matter what is going on never give up; develop the heart. Too much energy is spent developing themind instead of the heart. Be compassionate, not just to your friends, but to everyone.

Be compassionate.

Work for peace in your heart and inthe world, work forpeace and I say again never give up, no matter what is happening. No matter what is going on around you, never give up."

::::::::::::::::::::

The True Meaning of Life

"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one hundred years at the very most.

During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful with our lives.

If you contribute to other peoples' happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life."

::::::::::::::::::::

A Precious Human Life

"Every day, think as you wake up.

Today I am fortunate to have woken up. I am alive, I have a precious human life. I am not going to waste it.

I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts toward others. I am not going to allow anger to cause me to think badly about others.

I am going to benefit others as much as I can."

-- His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama